Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Real OG: Oliver Goldsmith




Oliver Goldsmith, Audrey 1963 available here


When it comes to labels, I have always preferred not to be a walking advertisement for the company from which I purchased an item. This applies to practically everything, including my sunglasses. Sunglasses are those pieces that you can really tell the difference between quality, and while I have a fair amount of quirky, inexpensive pairs, I struggle to find high caliber sunglasses that don't have humongous brand logos on their arms. It's a personal preference, but I happen to find logos garish and obnoxious, so I avoid them at all costs, leaning towards brands that don't have flashy walking adverts on their spectacles, such as Karen Walker. 
Recently, my dad ever so kindly gifted me the sunglasses that are the focal point of this post: Oliver Goldsmith, Audrey 1963. Ever so fitting, given my obsession with Audrey Hepburn. Turns out, Mr. Goldsmith was the maker of many of her iconic sunglasses, including those that she wore in Breakfast at Tiffany's, Charade, How to Steal a Million, as well as the genius behind the sunnies sported by other super stars of the Golden Age of Hollywood, like Grace Kelly. While many of the models that OG created for his screen sirens have been discontinued, Audrey 1963, has been in fact on the shelves since 1963. If that's not the definition of classic, timeless style, then I don't know what is. 
These sunglasses truly are a work of art-- they have weight, don't feel the slightest bit flimsy, and they have an air of timelessness. Instead of a label, they have two metal circles denoting the maker on the arms, so your focus is not on who made them, but rather the beautiful craftsmanship (each pair is handmade). A subtle reminder that elegance does not come from the label that you brandish, which is so easily forgotten these days. The proof is simply in the pudding-- sometimes going under the radar can make you feel like a movie star. 


No comments:

Post a Comment