Saturday, January 25, 2014

Best Face Forward: {January 2014}


Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in Let's Get Naked. Rimmel Scandaleyes Thin and Thick Waterproof Liquid Liner/ Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Liner 001 Black. Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam Mascara. Rimmel Stay Matte Mousse Foundation. Cle de Peau Concealer. Revlon Blush Oh Baby Pink. Urban Decay Naked Basics Shadow Palette.


After watching and re-watching Audrey Hepburn opposite Cary Grant in "Charade" (one of my all-time faves) over the holiday's, I found myself lusting after the fresh, yet mod and matte makeup artistry of the film's makeup artist, and Audrey confidante Alberto de'Rossi. The focal point of the look is Audrey's gorgeous eyes, fluttery lashes, and brightening, but neutral lipstick and blush-- nary a contour line in sight as that would muck it up. As you can see, most of the products I used are new from Rimmel, my perennial drugstore pick, and my thoughts on them, and even a tutorial are below. Enjoy. 

  • Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette: When this product first launched, I avoided it because well, it just seemed sooooo... basic. But, when I received it for Christmas, I realized that maybe, just maybe, basic can be better. You can use the lighter neutral colors for a natural look during the day, and pop it into your makeup bag to kick things up into the realm of smokey after work. Compact and versatile, the shadows are creamy and have good pigmentation, not to mention are very flattering on most skin tones. Well worth a purchase if you are in the market for something, for lack of a better term... basic. 
  • Rimmel Scandaleyes Thick and Thin Waterproof Liquid Liner: I had such high hopes for this product. I really wanted to love it, but it fell short of my expectations. A liquid liner of this design is perfect for someone wanting to learn how to do a feline flick or a kitten eye, but the applicator is so firm you have to drag it across your lid, which means you don't get a clean line. Also, its not as black as I would have hoped.
  • Rimmel Exaggerate Liquid Liner: I use this when I'm not using the above liner. It's not waterproof which is a serious shortcoming. It is, however, an inky black. I would advise you to stay away from this product until you have mastered liquid liner or the application process might be more frustrating than it is worth. 
  • Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam Mascara: This was also a smidge of a letdown. When you first apply it, it does exactly what it says, you have lush, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. Two hours later you have black debris all over your face because it flakes. Not cute. 
  • Rimmel Stay Matte Mouse Foundation: Overall, I really enjoy this product. It's a departure from the dewy bases that I gravitate to, and it has great coverage, and pretty good staying power to match. I would say that if your skin is really dry, skip it, as it cakes up on dry patches. 
  • Cle de Peau Concealer: The Birkin Bag of coverup, this baby dishes out a serious wallop to your wallet. The benefit is it lasts quite a while. The serious downside is, in my opinion, its not really revolutionary or rave worthy, with its tendency to crease and settle into lines. That's just how I feel and there are loads of other beauty mavens who claim this is their holy grail concealer. To each his own, right?
  • Revlon Blush Oh Baby Pink: Beauty confessional time... I bought this blush because I saw Olivia Wilde wearing it in the product's advertisement and she just looked so pretty. I'm a huge sucker, I know. Doesn't have the best staying power, but for people like me who can be a little, erm, heavy handed with their blusher, it's perfect because you can really layer to get a desired effect. Nothing rave worthy, but not terrible either. 
  • Rimmel Moisture Renew Let's Get Naked: I love this lipstick, and it fills a void in my vault of lippies because I don't have any other colors like it. I bought it because it reminded me of the shade Audrey Hepburn wears in Breakfast at Tiffany's-- not too pink, not too peachy, just the perfect fresh lip. Rimmel just reformulated this lipstick in the last year, and the relaunch is amazing. I'm definitely going to buy more shades. 

If you got all the way through and care to see how I apply these products every morning, take a look below or click here:





No comments:

Post a Comment