Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Lipstick Mafia: A Call to Arms of Sorts

Left: Rimmel Kate Moss Matte Shade 11. Right: Rimmel Kate Moss Matte Shade 09.


I don't know if it's the chilly weather or just the approach of the holidays, but recently I have found myself consistently grabbing for the varying shades of crimson in my beauty arsenal. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved red lipstick, but recently come to realize the true power of painting your pout. I think it all starts when you're little, playing with your mama's cosmetics at her vanity. You smear some lipstick all over your mouth (or face, because realistically, your motor skills aren't that developed), and all of a sudden you feel a little more grown up. I am in my 20's and red lipstick still has the same power to transform my comportment and the way I carry myself as it did when I was a tot. There's a reason red lipstick is associated with the power-house femme fatales of classic Hollywood. As a color, it has the singular power to convey glamour, depth, and strength. On an obvious level, it's hard to miss-- garnering attention, but also communicating power and certainty. Swipe some on and all of a sudden you walk a little taller, your face is a little brighter, and you command the attention of those you meet.

On a given day when I'm feeling down on myself, the bright hues of my lippies help me hold my head high. It has been noted that in times of economic crisis, consumers are less likely to buy costly luxury goods. However, in said turbulent times, it has also been noted that lipstick sales shoot through the roof. This is known as the lipstick effect. Women may not be able to buy a Chanel purse, but they can splash out $36 for a tube of luxury that can comfort them in times of trouble. For me, lipstick, and makeup in general, is not about fashioning myself in a manner that is attractive to the opposite sex, it's about self-expression and doing a little something for myself every single day. Indeed, lipstick has helped me through dark days, and perhaps even helped me assert myself when my confidence has wavered. So, ladies, if life has got you down, in the words of Elizabeth Taylor (a force of nature in her own right), "pour yourself, a drink put on some lipstick and pull yourself together."

If you're feeling hesitant about splurging on a lippie that you may seldom wear, I highly suggest the Kate Moss for Rimmel Matte Lipstick range. These rich  lippies come in a number of shades, and are a genuinely gorgeous formulation-- they go on like butter, and have incredible pigmentation, rivaling topshelf brands in terms of quality. The packaging has Kate's autograph in red, adding a significant cute factor. And they will run you around $6.00 at the cash register. Not to mention, if you are a savvy shopper and look for coupons on new displays in the drugstore, or participate in rewards programs like those at CVS, they can be even cheaper. This past weekend, I picked up two for myself, in shades 09 and 11, which are respectively a beautiful true berry and a cranberry, (very seasonally appropriate-- video tutorial to come... stay tuned) at CVS, where they were running a deal of "buy one get one 50% off" on all Rimmel cosmetics. Cha-ching! I also used a coupon for $1.00 off that I grabbed earlier in the week. This rendered the total damage of my splurge at a whopping, wait for it.... $9.13 and that's including tax! I still feel the buzz from my shoppers high.
 Top: Shade 11 Bottom: Shade 09


Perhaps these tips might inspire you to take the leap and experiment with a red lip. I can only hope it does. You never know, it might bring out something in you that you never knew was there.. Ready, set. paint your pout, then paint the town red!

No comments:

Post a Comment